Si se puede
During these next few months, we will be visiting and learning from communities throughout Mexico and Central America. The focus of the trip begins at research of pesticide exposure (Joe) and fair trade communities (Haley), and expands beyond that into the infinite imaginations of everyone we encounter. Our modes of transportation we believe will include busses, trains, generous rides in the back of pick-ups, and whatever else crosses our path. As we proceed through our final days in the US, we can only imagine the journey that extends before us. We recognize our extreme privilege for this opportunity and know that everyday we will receive blatant reminders. When we leave, we are leaving behind us months, years, of exhausting, confusing, contradictory work as activists for social justice. In traveling, we anticipate encounters, and relationships that may provide us a deeper understanding of the effects of our privileged consumption, the common human connections we share, and our role in the world as people committed to fostering positive social change. We can only hope that those of you we are leaving behind at home can understand our passion for our travels and share our excitement (and stop worrying Mom and Dad!) and that the people we meet will aid us in deepening our notions of and commitments to global solidarity. ¡Ya veremos!

3 Comments:
How Nice. L,UD
Joe and Haley,
As I sit here plugging through what is now the 6th straight day of writing, and writing, and writing for all my final papers...I remind myself of what you are doing...which reminds me of what we all live for - compassion, understanding, connection, and ultimately PEACE. Just when I think I am drained, you pop into my mind and heart and inspire me. Thank you for that and for having the guts to LIVE...you keep me focused. I love you, Melissa
I am asking Iliff if they will fund my trip to Cuernevaca. If they say yes I'll be there. If they say no, then I'll probably languish here in Colorado with my thesis. I should find out by Wednesday if that helps,
MPJ
Post a Comment
<< Home